FIDM Scholarship Store
The FIDM Scholarship is a merit-based grant students who are pursuing a degree in fashion, design promoting, or a connected field from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM), open to both domestic and international students.
The FIDM Scholarship Fund is a non-profit association which can give up to $20,000 each year to help skilled students with chasing after their fantasies of a career in design. Provided the student maintains a good academic standing, it is renewable for up to four years.
Benefits Of Being An FIDM Student
Access to top-notch facilities and resources
- Technology: FIDM students have access to state-of-the-art technology, including sewing machines, computers, and printing presses.
- Libraries: FIDM has two libraries, one on its Los Angeles campus and one on its San Diego campus, with a wide range of resources, including books, journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- Studios: FIDM students have access to a variety of studios, including fashion design studios, textile studios, and photography studios.
- Retail: FIDM has a retail store on its Los Angeles campus where students can sell their designs.
- Career Services: FIDM has a career services department that helps students find internships and jobs after graduation.
- Student Organizations: FIDM has over 50 student organizations, including fashion clubs, social clubs, and professional organizations.
Instruction from some of the best fashion professionals in the world
- Access to industry knowledge: FIDM faculty are experts in the fashion industry with a wealth of knowledge that they can share with students, having worked in all aspects of the industry, from design to manufacturing to marketing.
- Real-world experience: FIDM faculty are working professionals who can bring their real-world experience into the classroom and teach students about the latest trends and technologies to develop the skills they need to succeed in the fashion industry.
- Personalized attention: FIDM classes are small, so students get a lot of personalized attention from their professors and help them reach their full potential.
- Networking opportunities: FIDM faculty have a wide network of contacts in the fashion industry to help students get internships and jobs after graduation.
Hands-on experience through internships and projects
- Internships: FIDM students have the opportunity to intern with fashion brands and companies to get real-world experience and help them build their networks.
- Projects: fidm scholarship students work on projects that give them the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge in anything from designing a garment to creating a marketing campaign.
- Capstone experiences: FIDM students complete a capstone experience in their final year that allows them to showcase their skills and knowledge.
- Collaborations: fidm scholarship students collaborate with other students, faculty, and industry professionals on projects to learn from each other and build relationships.
- Competitions: FIDM students can participate in competitions that give them the opportunity to showcase their work and get noticed by potential employers.
Networking opportunities with industry professionals
- Career Services: FIDM has a career services department that helps students find internships and jobs after graduation through networking events, workshops, and one-on-one counseling sessions.
- Industry Events: FIDM gives students the opportunity to meet with fashion professional through industry events, such as fashion shows, lectures, and workshops.
- Student Organizations: FIDM has over 50 student organizations, including fashion clubs, social clubs, and professional organizations that provide students with opportunities to network with other students and industry professionals.
- Social Media: FIDM students can use social media to connect with fashion professionals and other students, build relationships, and promote your work.
- Personal Networking: Industry events, meetings with professors and mentors, and social media give FIDM students the opportunity to network with people in the fashion industry.
A strong sense of community
- Shared passion: All FIDM students share a passion for fashion. This creates a common bond that brings them together.
- Collaborative environment: FIDM students are encouraged to collaborate on projects and assignments to build relationships and learn from each other.
- Supportive faculty and staff: FIDM faculty and staff are dedicated to helping students succeed by providing support and guidance.
- Active student organizations: FIDM has over 50 student organizations that provide opportunities for students to get involved and meet other students with similar interests.
- Diverse student body: FIDM students come from all over the world. This diversity creates a vibrant and stimulating learning environment.
Eligibility For The FIDM Scholarship
Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
fidm scholarship requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 for scholarships because it wants to ensure that the students who receive scholarships are academically prepared for the rigors of fashion school.
Provide letters of recommendation
The scholarship committee get to know you better and understand why you are a good fit for the scholarship through letters of recommendation.
Submit a portfolio of their work
The portfolio of work should be well-curated and highlight the student’s best work to showcase their creativity and their skills.
There are a few things you should include in your FIDM scholarship portfolio:
- Your best designs: This could include sketches, illustrations, or photos of your finished garments.
- Your process: Show how you develop your designs, from the initial sketches to the final product.
- Your inspiration: Talk about what inspires you and how it influences your work.
- Your technical skills: Demonstrate your ability to sew, drape, and construct garments.
- Your creativity: Explain how you come up with innovative designs.
Applying For The FIDM Scholarship:
- Make sure your application essay is well-written and engaging.
- Choose letters of recommendation from people who can speak to your academic achievements and your passion for fashion.
- Showcase your creativity and your skills by submitting a portfolio of your work.
- Apply early and follow the application instructions carefully.